Thursday, November 24, 2011

Happy Thanksgiving!

Happy Thanksgiving, everyone! I hope that you're enjoying time with family and friends this Thanksgiving. Don't eat too much turkey!!

Thanksgiving is so commercialized now that often we forget the real reason why we celebrate it. It's the one day a year where everyone gathers together and celebrates and remembers what they are thankful. On the very first Thanksgiving the Pilgrims remembered this, even though they'd had a long, hard year, and to all appearances, didn't have much to be thankful for. They'd lost family and friends, both on the voyage over and once they'd arrived and begun to settle. They'd had the struggles of trying to adapt to a new place and build a colony. Yet they still found reasons to be thankful. If they found something to be thankful for, and thought it enough of a reason to celebrate, then shouldn't you and I also be able to find something to be thankful for, and celebrate it?

I have experienced so many blessings this year and have so many reasons to be thankful that it would take forever to list them all, so I'm just going to list a few of the things that I am thankful for.

1. Friends-I am so blessed to have such wonderful friends. I honestly don't know what I would do without them. They are always there for me to encourage and help me. I work with some of my best friends, which makes my job more enjoyable. Although they can be pretty goofy at times, that's what makes them so much fun to be around! I'm also thankful that they are Godly friends who encourage me to do right and and encourage me in the things of God.

2. Family-I love my family. My parents have always provided for me, and helped me out when I needed it. They've given me advice and helped me as I've gotten out on my own. My sister is honestly one of my best friends. Although we fought a lot when we were younger, she is someone that I look up to and admire. Sadly, she lives in North Carolina, so I don't get to see her much, but she's still there for me whenever I need her. My brother-in-law is an awesome guy. I couldn't have asked for a better guy for my sister. Although he can be rather geeky at times, he completely fills his role as a brother by teasing me and giving me a hard time.

3. My job-I love my job. I honestly do. I love what I do, and I love (most of) the people that I work with. I have a great supervisor who is also a Christian, and I love working for her. With so many people out of work these days, I am so thankful that I have a job. I don't have to worry about how I'm going to pay my bills, or where my next meal is going to come from. I am blessed to have such a great job.

4. My salvation-I am so thankful that I have a Savior who came and died on the cross so that I could live forever in Heaven with God. I'm thankful that God saved a sinner like me.

5. God's leading in my life-This past year God has done a great work in my life. He took me from a rebellious girl who was questioning God and didn't want anything to do with God or Christianity to a girl who is "all in" for Him and desires to serve Him and please Him with everything I do. In the past few months especially, I have seen God working in me. I mentioned in my last post that I was thinking about going back to college. Well, after much prayer, I have decided to attend Liberty University Online and major in Psychology. I will be starting classes in the Summer of 2012, and am so excited!

Like I said earlier, these are just a few of the things that I am thankful for. There is so much more that I could list. What are you thankful for this Thanksgiving?


0 comments:

Post a Comment