Wednesday, February 1, 2012

February, Already?!

I can't believe it's already February!! January absolutely flew by! I meant to post at least a couple more times before January was over, but time got away from me.

Since I failed to mention what goal I was focusing on in January in my post on goals, I'll start with that.

In January, I chose to focus on my goal of reading through the Old Testament in a year. I started around mid-January or so, and so far I've made in through Genesis chapter 18. I try to read about three chapters a day, but that's not always possible. I'm trying to make sure that I actually comprehend and get something out of what I read, rather than just reading it to get through it. Some days I find myself spending quite a bit of time on just a small section of verses, reading and rereading them, finding new truths in passages that I've read many, many times.

I think I'm going to quite enjoy this goal. Even though it's off to a slow start right now, I'm sure once I move out of Genesis it will pick up pace. Genesis just has so many of my favorite Bible stories that I tend to take a long time to get through just one chapter.

The goal that I've chosen to focus on in February is getting into better shape. I live within ten minutes of our local YMCA, so I am planning on getting a membership there. In order to do this without hurting my goals of paying off my credit card and saving more money, I'm going to cancel my cable. A membership at the Y is actually $14 less than what I pay for cable, so I plan on putting that extra $14 towards my credit card bill until it is payed off. Once I get it payed off, that money will go into savings. I plan to call tomorrow to cancel the cable, and then hopefully going to the YMCA on Friday to become a member and start working out.

I've been blessed with a wonderful Y that has plenty of amenities and equipment. They have two indoor pools, an outdoor pool, two gymnasiums, a walking/jogging track, a huge strength training center, an aerobic studio, racquetball courts, multipurpose courts, sports fields, and a bike path. The things that I see myself using the most are the pool, the track, the strength training center, and the aerobic studio. In addition to these, they have tons of fitness classes, such as zumba, cycling, and water exercise. Unfortunately, due to working night shift, I probably won't be able to attend these, but we'll see. They open early enough that I can stop there on my way home from work, and they stay open late as well, so I could even stop on my way too work if I wanted.

I hope to do a post soon about how I read through/study the New Testament. It's something that I just started this year, but I've found it very helpful. Hopefully I can get that written and up before this month is over. I'm excited about it!

0 comments:

Post a Comment