Thursday, February 2, 2012

Thankful

You know that verse in Bible that says, " Rejoice with those who rejoice, weep with those who weep." (Rom. 12:15)? Well, today, that verse has a whole new meaning to me.

Last night I arrived at work to the news that the company I work for was letting 182 people go, 92 of those at the location where I work. I was not expecting this at all. We had been slow at work for awhile, and had just gotten back from a temporary three week layoff, which thankfully only affected me for a week and a half. To come back to the news that people were going to be let go was a shock, to say the least. Everyone was taken by surprise, and, naturally, worried about their job, myself included. The most awful part? Most everyone had heard about it either on the news (http://www.abc6onyourside.com/shared/newsroom/top_stories/videos/wsyx_vid_15974.shtml) or by word of mouth from those who had seen it on the news.

Thankfully, out of the twenty-eight that were let go on my shift, I was not one of the ones let go. Most of my friends were spared as well; however, a few of my friends were let go. I felt a mixture of relief and sadness. Relief at knowing that I still had a job, but sadness for all those who did not.

Our facility is rather small, and the shift that I work on is the smallest. We only had a little over 100 people before last night, so everyone knew each other. Spending ten hours a day, four, and sometimes five or six, days a week, means that you become close to many of the people that you work with. It's very much a family-like atmosphere.

It was very difficult to see people go, even those that I wasn't particularly close to. There were many tears shed last night, both by those who were let go, and by those who remained. It was a difficult, awful, horrible night.

Through it all, I am constantly reminded of the LORD's goodness and grace. I am so very thankful that I still have a job. So many times I've gone into working wishing that I didn't have to be there, but tonite changed my attitude drastically. I am determined to not longer have a bad attitude about work, but rather go in each day and be thankful that I still have a job.

Please be in prayer for all of those who have been, and will be (the weekend shift will find out Friday who stays and who goes), let go.

0 comments:

Post a Comment