Friday, April 22, 2011

Favorite Fridays: Chick Flicks!!

Well, it's looking like my work schedule is only going to allow me to post once or twice a week. I frequently work overtime, so unless I have extra time on the days that I work, I usually only have time to post on my days off. Because of this, I will try to do a couple of posts on the days that I am able to post something. I'm still trying to figure out if there's someway that I can write a post ahead of time and then schedule it to post at a certain time. Do any of you know how to do this?


Because I have so many favorite movies, I've decided to divide them into genres for Favorite Fridays. My family owns a lot of movies, mainly because for a few years we didn't have satellite or cable, and also to ensure that there would always be something good for us to watch so we don't end up watching something that we shouldn't simply because we have nothing else to watch.

One of my favorite genres of movies is chick flicks! You know, the girl-meets-guy, girl-and-guy-fall-in-love type? Yes, I will admit, I'm very much a romantic at heart. I enjoy a good love story, whether in a book or a movie, so here's a few of my favorites:

1. First Daughter-I love this movie!! It's cute, hilarious, and oh-so-good!!! "Once Upon A Time there lived a lovely girl named Samantha. She had everything she could possibly wish for, and lived in a beautiful white house. The White House. First Daughter Samantha Mackenzie is a sheltered young woman who just wants a normal school experience, away from the influence of her parents. Only trouble is, her dad is the President of the United States! But nothing will stop Samantha, so, under Secret Service surveillance and a nonstop media glare, she meets-and falls hard for-a handsome student who has a secret existence of his own."
Note: this movie does have a couple of scenes that you may want to fast forward-a pool party scene (girls in bikinis, guys with no shirts on, and guys dancing suggestively around a girl) and a bar scene which involves Samantha wearing a very short pair of shorts, and a tight top.


2. Hitch-this movie is hilarious!! If you want a romance that will make you laugh, then watch Hitch. "Smooth and sexy Alex "Hitch" Hitchens (Will Smith) is the master of seduction in this charming romantic comedy. His specialty? Helping clueless clients make a great first impression so they not only get to the second date, but make someone fall for them. When a gossip reporter (Eva Mendes) starts nosing around his business, however, Hitch finds himself out of moves as he forgets all his lessons and has to figure out a whole new strategy to love."
Note: This movie is rated PG-13 for a reason. While there are no necessarily "bad" scenes, I would not recommend watching it with kids around.

3. The Last Song-This is near the top of my all-time favorite movies list. As are most movies based on Nicholas Spark's novels, it is a tearjerker, so have a box of tissues nearby!! "17-year-old Ronnie Miller is a rebellious former piano prodigy who doesn't hide her hostility after being sent off to spend the summer in Georgia with her estranged father. Rebuffing her dad's attempts to reconnect, the aloof Ronnie begins to thaw when she meets beach volleyballer Will Blakelee." Kinda a poor summary, I know, but it's the best one I could find. Watch it for yourself, and you'll find that you'll want to watch it again and again!!!
Note: This movie is very clean, and I would have no problems watching it with pre-teens or teens.

4. A Walk to Remember-Also based on a Nicholas Spark's novel, this is another one of my all-time favorites. Don't forget to grab another box of tissues before watching it! "When bad boy Landon is cast opposite the campus bookworm in a school play, no one expects romance to bloom. Despite peer pressure and strict parents, the newly minted lovebirds forge a heartfelt bond ... until tragedy tears them apart."
Note: This movie is also very clean, and has a bit of a religious theme to it.

5. Sweet Home Alabama-this movie starts one of my favorite actresses, Reese Witherspoon, so of course, it is near the top of my list of my favorites. Funny, cute, and touching, I find myself wanting to watch it again and again. "Abandoning her rural Alabama background and high school-sweetheart husband in favor of Manhattan's glamorous social circles, Melanie Smooter-Perry adopts a chicer surname to go with her new life. As career woman Melanie Carmichael, she attracts a handsome Park Avenue boyfriend…but then he pops the question, forcing Melanie to go down South and finally get her divorce papers signed."
Note: This movie is rated PG-13 for a reason, and I wouldn't recommend watching it with kids or young teens.

6. Father of the Bride (1991)-a very cute movie that is great for the whole family! If you've ever been the father-, mother-, brother-, or sister-of-the-bride, you will definitely find this movie hilarious!! "In this hilarious update of the much-loved Hollywood classic, George Banks is the befuddled father who has a hard time letting go of his daughter when she unexpectedly announces her plans to wed."
Note: This movie is great for the while family to watch, and very clean.

7. Runaway Bride-This movie is hilarious!!! Go ahead, watch it; if you like chick flicks, I promise you will love this movie! "Commitment-phobic bride-to-be Maggie Carpenter has already left three men at the altar when sexist newspaper columnist Ike Graham writes an offensive, inaccurate story about her -- and will get fired unless he talks to her in person. But as the "Runaway Bride" prepares for her fourth wedding attempt, Graham discovers what her beaus see in her -- and risks becoming the next groom."
Note: Another very clean movie that the whole family can watch and enjoy.

8. 50 First Dates-Another romantic comedy, I enjoy watching this when I need a good laugh! "Henry is a player skilled at seducing women. But when this veterinarian meets Lucy, a girl with a quirky problem when it comes to total recall, he realizes it's possible to fall in love all over again … and again, and again. That's because the delightful Lucy has no short-term memory, so Henry must woo her day after day until he finally sweeps her off her feet.
Note: I wouldn't recommend this movie to anyone under the age of 16. Some of the dialogue is rather suggestive.

9. My Best Friend's Wedding-Another great chic flick, but without the usual ending. "Food writer Julianne Potter panics when she receives word that her longtime platonic pal, Michael, is finally getting hitched, to a debutante named Kimberly. Realizing her true feelings for Michael, Julianne enlists assistance from her gay companion and sets out to sabotage the wedding, making a last-minute play for her man -- to the rhythm of Burt Bacharach tunes."
Note: The movie is pretty clean, but I wouldn't recommend watching it with anyone younger than 13.

10. The Wedding Planner-A very cute movie, with just the right of comedy mixed in to keep it entertaining. " Mary Fiore, San Francisco's premiere wedding planner, is rescued from an accident by the man of her dreams, pediatrician Steve Edison, only to find he is the fiancĂ© of her latest client, wealthy Fran Donnolly. As Mary continues making the wedding arrangements, she and Steve are put into a string of uncomfortable situations that force them to face their mutual attraction."
Note: Once again, it's pretty clean, but I wouldn't recommend it to anyone younger than 13.

0 comments:

Post a Comment