Friday, April 15, 2011

Favorite Fridays: Christian Fiction Authors

I have been rather absent lately...life got in the way! We worked overtime at work last week, and that throws my whole week off. Hopefully we are done with overtime for a little while, anyways, so I will be able to be more regular with blog posting.

I love books. I would read all the time if I could, but work and real life sometimes get in the way!! Today I want to share with you some of my all-time favorite Christin fiction authors.

  1. Terri Blackstock-AMAZING AUTHOR. That sums Terri up in two words. She has written my all-time favorite series, The Restoration Series, as well as The Newpointe 911 series, another of my favorites. If you had to pick just one series to read, written by any author, I would tell you to read the Restoration Series. It revolves around one family who is forced to re-evaluate their lifestyle when the entire twenty-first century, high-tech planet is swept back to the age before electricity. Each books presents new trials and new learning experiences for them. It alos makes you really think about just how much we depend on all our high-tech devices, such as cell phones, television, computers, video games, cars, etc. After picking up and reading just the first few chapters of the first book in the series, Last Light, I guarantee that you will not want to put it down, and when it's over, you'll want to read the three other books in the series as well.
  2. Dee Henderson-I absolutely ADORE Dee Henderson's books. I love mysteries, suspense & romance, and she combines these to make some really good books. She has written two series, The O'Malley Series, which is about a "family" (they adopted each other) of 7, all of whom have different jobs in various areas of law enforcement, ranging from negotiator to forensic to paramedic. The series includes 7 books, 6 of them about the O'Malley's, and a 7th a prequel that ties into the series. Her other series is Uncommon Hereos. There are four (well, technically 3, one book that used to be in the series was retitled and no longer included in the series listing) books in this series about men and women in our Armed Forces. Excellent books, and I really encourage you to read these, as well as her four independent novels.
  3. Karen Kingsbury-Karen has written several books that I have read over and over again. She's written 6 multi-book series, 4 two-book series, and numerous independent novels. Her favorite series of mine is the 9/11 series, which is about several people who were directly affected by the September 11 tragedies. Several of her books have been, or are being, made into movies, such as Like Dandelion Dust, Missy's Murder, A Thousand Tomorrow's, and Gideon's Gifts. Her books are always very encouraging and uplifting.
  4.  Angela Hunt-Angela has authored numerous books, including one of my favorites, The Note, which has also been made into a movie. Her novels are all very thought-provoking and deal with many touchy subjects that usually aren't covered by Christian authors. My favorite book of hers is titled The Justice. It is about a woman Vice President of the United States who quickly finds herself as the first woman President when the President dies unexpectedly. Added to the mix is her former lover, a brilliant lawyer whom she nominates as a Supreme Court Justice. All of this makes for one very interesting book!
  5. Beverly Lewis-(note: this is a link to her page on the Christian Book Distributors website. As far as I can tell, she doesn't have a website of her own.) Beverly has authored numerous novels about the Amish, all of which are excellent books. She has written 6 (not totally positve on that number) different series, as well as several children's books. If you're looking for an easy, relaxing book to read, I encourage you to choose one of hers. I also highly recommend her children's books, some of which I read when I was younger. They're excellent books, your children will love them, and best of all, you don't have to worry about the content of them!
  6. Janette Oke-Janette has written many historical novels, most of them set during the pioneer era in America. One of her series, the Love Comes Softly series, probably the first Christian Fiction series I ever read, has been made into a series of movies. Even if you watched the movies and didn't like them, I encourage you to  read the books. The movies and books are very different, and, in my opinion, the books are much, much better.
Well, that includes this Favorite Friday post. I know, I know, 6 is an odd number to end on, but for sake of time and space, I'm going to end it there. Between the six of these authors, you'll have enough choices in books to keep you busy for quite awhile!

0 comments:

Post a Comment